Google Chrome has stopped working!!
Well my Google Chrome DID stop working on my computer for the best part of this morning. Luckily I had my laptop to survive on.
For some reason, it said the User Profile was corrupted!!
So I tried to uninstall, reinstall, restart, boot kick, kick it, slap it, cry at it, shout at it… Nothing worked!!
Finally resorting to the ultimate I downloaded FireFox to search for a clue!!
I thought I would have lost all my beloved bookmarks which I had created over the years so it was a nail-biting process!
Luckily I found a site which had the following information and I hope it comes in handy to you:
If your browser user profile is corrupted, you can create a new user profile to replace the broken one:
- Exit Google Chrome completely.
- Go to the Start menu > Run.
- Enter one of the following directories in the text field, then press OK.
- Windows XP: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data
- Windows 7 or Windows Vista: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data
- Locate the folder called “Default” in the directory window that opens and rename it as “Backup default.”
Try opening Google Chrome again. A new “Default” folder is automatically created as you start using the browser. You can transfer your old browser information to your new user profile; however, we recommend against doing so since a part of your old profile was corrupt. You can transfer your old bookmarks to your new user profile by copying the “Bookmarks.bak” file from the “Backup default” folder to your new “Default” folder.
(Taken with thanks from http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?answer=142059)